Thursday, September 3, 2020

Intermittent Fasting


Intermittent fasting is a pattern of eating with periods of fasting (no insulin producing foods) and feasting (eating). There are several types of programs that include, alternate day fasting, time restricted feeding, and periodic fasting. Other versions of this eating plan are the Warrior Diet and the Fast Five Diet. 

Common Terms

  • IF - intermittent fasting
  • Window - refers to the time of day that is for fasting:feasting, 16:8 = 16 hours of fasting: 8 hours feasting
  • Clean fast - consuming only non-caloric and bitter foods. The list is short and includes water, black coffee, black or green tea, and mineral water. No artificial sweeteners or flavorings. 
  • NSV - non-scale victory ie clear skin, mental clarity, more energy
  • OMAD - one  meal a day
  • ADF - alternate day fasting or up/down
Popular Media
  • Fast, Feast, Repeat by Gin Stephens
  • The Complete Guide to Intermittent Fasting by Dr. Jason Fung
  • Intermittent Fasting Stories with Gin Stephens
  • The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung
  • New England Journal of Medicine article
  • Quick Informative Video - Link
  • Appetite Correction by Dr. Herring
As of today, I have been practicing intermittent fasting for 80 days. I have noticed reduced inflamation in my joints, less bloating, and weight loss (about 1 pound per week). I have more time because I am not focused on "what's for breakfast" and "when is my next meal". I generally fast for 18-22 hours each day and eat a snack and dinner. I have not changed the type of foods I eat but have noticed negative side effects to eating too much sugar and dairy or even large amounts of simple carbohydrates. When on vacation, I modify my schedule with a longer eating window. As with many followers, this is not a diet but a way of life. I feel freedom and want to eat foods that are "window worthy" and make me feel good. 

2 comments:

  1. I haven’t read any of the media but will pick up one of your suggestions. I’ve been fasting since January of this year, and rarely take “days off.” My findings are similar to yours in terms of how I feel when I eat foods that are high calorie or dairy, and also gluten has a bigger impact on how I feel. I’m down about 10 lbs, but have more energy than I’ve had in a long time. Thanks for sharing!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job Bethany! I am motivated by the weekly podcasts, hearing success stories and relating to the presenters. We're not alone!!!

      Delete